Wednesday 25 April 2012

Indecision, Thy name is Nerd

Okay, my second official post on this blog should be something important, enigmatic, right?It's been an hour or two, and I've been scratching my head, thinking about how to start something that would interest someone out there, but I couldn't really think of anything, I mean, I could write a few paragraphs on how I only just started watching Firefly yesterday (I know, bad Nerd) but I kept thinking, there had to be something more important to write about.

I was right! In a fortunate turn of events I actually found something to write about which connects to the theme of the title.

I’m going to go ahead and guess that you’ve all heard the well-known phrase "when two grown-ups love each other very much..." well, it's much the same for Nerds, except when two Nerds love each other very much it’s not as sudden. There are always seems to be a lot of equations and variables to be considered before asking the inevitable, if slightly awkward, question. Having been in a Nerd relationship (me being the Nerd) I know the inherent issues that all Nerds feel. I have spent most of my “social life” in front of the computer and games consoles, and this is why I don’t really have much success in social situations.

So a friend of mine, who shall remain unnamed, has been thinking of how to ask a girl out, one of his friends no less. He too, is a Nerd, and it seems to me that the FNGs (Fucking Noob Guy) of the world have it so much easier. I think that because of certain TV shows, Nerds have a much tougher time than someone who is “physically beautiful”. In a world where a high Str or Cha score is considered much more important to a relationship than Int or Wis, how can a Nerd expect to find anyone but a fellow Nerd? Of course, there will always be a select few who actually favour personality over looks, but finding even one person like that is like finding a FNG in Games Workshop, it's difficult, and it’s so surprising that when you see them you have no idea how to proceed. For instance, a month or two ago, when I was told that a girl I knew and hung out with actually liked me, I couldn’t believe it. The idea was alien to me, that a girl would consider hanging out with me even after I told her of my interest in Dungeons and Dragons and video games. I think she may have been a stealth Nerd. By day they have normal jobs, normal friends and social lives, but as Sol slowly sets, they break out the Doctor Who DVDs and paint their newly built Warhammer figures, video calling her Nerd friends on the best methods to paint plastic figures.

I've had this post on hold for a while. It's been about a week since I wrote anything for it. I wanted to write about my friends Success asking his friend out. Since I wrote about my experience with stealth Nerds, my friend has secured a day out at the cinemas! The moral of the story? Ask and you shall receive.


Happy Nerding!


No comments:

Post a Comment