Friday 15 February 2013

What your d6 can do for you

I was watching the Big Bang Theory today. Sheldon decided that for an extended period of time he would let all of his "minor" decisions be dictated by the roll of dice.

I was intrigued. So I researched the idea and found a book which was written in the 1970s called "The Dice Man" by George Cockcroft under the pseudonym Luke Rhinehart. It tells the story of a psychiatrist who decides to make life decisions on the roll of a dice (he takes it to extremes, but it does make for a good novel, and I doubt you'd want to read about some guy rolling dice to decide whether he should get a haircut or what movie he should watch that night).

The books tag line says "Few novels will change your life. This one will" apparently taking into account the very real possibility of jail-time, but yes, somehow it will be changing your life. (Of course, jail would only happen if you have illegal choices on your lists and follow your dice completely).

It's all about liberation, knowing that you could end up doing anything with anyone and committing to that idea. Part of me would really like to try this, but I know the way I roll dice. It would end badly, and quickly.

Some time after writing previous sentence say... after lunch

So I successfully used the dice for a decision. I wanted to mix up my lunch routine and choose something I wouldn't normally. It was a good idea, had fairly minimal consequences and I won't be arrested for choosing something I don't want.

Lunch was good. Fish and Chips. Thank you, my "trusty" d6. But I don't think I could trust my life to it just yet.


Just a short post today. I'll try and write again soon.
Oli


No comments:

Post a Comment